Monday, March 29, 2010

Stinkin English (Language)!

"And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh." Ez 36: 26-27

"My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest." Ex 33:14

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matt 11:28

"Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life." Rev 2:10

"And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever..." John 14:16

"Think over what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything." 2 Tim 2:7

"...and he will give you the desires of your heart." Ps 37: 4b

So, do you think the Psalm 37 reference should be taken literally like the above texts, or do you think they should have translated it "fulfill"?

How have you always understood this text? This text has always confused me. I hear people reference it like it means he will "fulfill" the desires you have, but it reads like he will "put the desires in you."

It seems recently that I'm really baffled by the word choices they use in Bible translations. I suppose they just want to be consistent and translate a word the same every time it's used.

Someone should make a translation for white, middle class, 30 year-olds who were raised in a rural setting but now live in the metro as a carpenter.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment